A client/server system is a networked computing model that distributes processes between clients and servers. A client/server network connects many computers, called clients, to a main computer, called a server. A client can be usually a desktop computer or workstation, that can query database from a server.The client provides the graphical interface, while the server provides access to shared resources, typically a database.
Advantages of client/server computing
- C/S computing caters to low-cost and user-friendly environment.
- It offers expandability.
- It ensures that the performance degradation is not so much with increased load.
- It allows connectivity with the heterogeneous machines and also with real time data feeders like ATM.
- It allows server enforced security, performance, backup, integrity to be a part of the database machine avoiding the requirement to write a large number of redundant piece of code dealing with database field validation and referential integrity, allows multiple users to simultaneously access the same application data.
- Updates from one computer are instantly made available to all computers that had access to the server.